Feb 6, 2017

Last week I had soul food and went to a wake.

This is actually another one from the drafts queue (and I can’t even tell you when it was started because this isn’t the first time I’ve tried to get it finished):
Doesn’t that seem fitting somehow? These are the kinds of things you just can’t make up.

I had to drive down to someplace where I could park and take the subway into work and then come back later to get in the car and drive over to where the wake was being held. It just didn’t make sense to come all that way into the city, then schlepp all the way back up to where I live only to drive back down to the Bronx again.

So, I thought I’d save myself some trouble and drive into the Bronx, park and just avoid the Manhattan traffic.

But finding a parking space where I wanted to was a bear – I guess I’m not the only one with that idea and I had to drive around and around looking for a spot. Eventually, I wound up by Yankee Stadium. I wasn’t right by the stadium but a bunch of blocks away and up on the pole was a sign that said No Parking Street Cleaning Mon 8:30 - 10:00 am and above that was another sign that said No Parking during Stadium Events Tow Away Zone.

The inherent vagueness of the sign had me on edge all day...

And because I was on edge, I made a series of phone calls to find out the specifics of that very ordinance. See, there was a Yankee game that evening – definitely what would be termed a Stadium Event

 Well, I managed to get back to my car early enough where the ordinance didn't matter or maybe it simply didn't apply where I parked. It's strange really because now that there is a new Yankee Stadium and a mall replacing the jail that was once there in that neighborhood the character of the entire neighborhood has changed.

Me, I'm actually a bit annoyed that they have a Metro North station there now because

1) It adds another stop anytime I get stuck taking a local (and this is an already long ride considering where I am on the line)

and

2) I have to be acutely aware of the Yankees home schedule now if I'm in the city at work or otherwise because trains now stop at the Stadium after Yankee games and Yankee’s fans are nothing if not especially annoying lushes who manage to get properly tanked at Yankee games making for a truly unpleasant ride at the end of a long day.

If I was still a Yankee fan I might marvel at the convenience but now it’s just another annoyance in life.

The soul food place was okay... not bad, not good but okay. I’ve been known to check out a few weird places if the food is good. Good food is something I’m always on the hunt for and especially good restaurants with cheap eats.

The gig I’ve just wound up is located near a really terrific African Place over in the Penn Station area (or north Chelsea - the neighborhood is a bit between) and I find myself returning every now and again.

This Soul Food place had decent food but it wasn’t the kind of place you’d make a special trip for however if you are in the area for a Yankee game I would advise you to check it out: Sam’s Soul Food and Bar

Then as far as the wake went - it was a wake. You go to these things for a reason. I am reminded of something I read and heard awhile back. It’s a bit old now (from 2005 - time goes so fast!) but really worth a listen. Basically it explains WHY you should pay your respects (whether it be a wake or funeral). I know we live in a ‘me’ centered culture but everyone should take a listen:

Always Go To The Funeral.

No comments: